This past week we were able to watch the “Outsiders” program on Jose Luis de Jesus Miranda and it was very interesting. I thought I would supply a few of my thoughts on it.
1. He’s not the charasmatic leader you would think he would be. Most cults are led by personalities that are just magnetic. And he wasn’t a fiery preacher. Isn’t flashy in his presentation. That makes the reason for his popularity that much more confusing. I think a lot of it has to do with the hold of Catholicism throughout the Latin community. They rule with fear and this is a radical departure from the Roman Catholic Church.
2. It was interesting to hear that Jose Luis said that he doesn’t believe in the New Testament books unless they were written by Paul. When he said that, I turned to Leah and said, “Well, then he picked the wrong apostle!” So what I want to do here is to supply some points from Paul’s apostle to contradict Jose Luis.
– First of all, either Jose Luis isn’t familiar with Romans 1-3 on sin, or he has a great hermeneutic to make it irrelevant. Romans 3:23- “For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.”
Romans 3:10-13 “None is righteous, no, not one; no on understands; no one seeks for God. All have turned aside; together they have become worthless; no one does good, not even on.”
– He kept saying that there is no such thing as sin, but there is such a thing as a crime. Murder is not a sin, but it is a crime. Well, Paul says in Romans 13:2 “Therefore whoever resists the authorities resists what God has appointed, and those who resist will incur judgment.” Verse 5 says, “Therefore one must be in subjection, not only to avoid God’s wrath but also for teh sake of conscience.” Failure to abide by a nation’s laws is sin, as far as they do not oppose God’s revelation.
– II Thessalonians 2 speaks of the man of lawlessness, or the antichrist. It is interesting that it is the man of lawlessness, or one who does not observe the law. hmmmm…. I’m not saying Jose Luis is the antichrist, so don’t get that. I don’t think he’s important enough. Read through 2:1-12 and tell me that the antichrist and Jesus are the same.
– How would Ephesians 5:25 apply to him? “Husbands, love your wives, as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her.” His difficulties with his wife are documented, and he isn’t exactly taking steps to remove any temptation around him. He surrounds himself with beautiful, scantily dressed women, hardly loving his wife like Christ loved the church. But then again, he is Christ, so can he define how he loves the church?
– I Corinthians 10:13 speaks of temptation unto sin. But there is not such thing as sin. Am I missing something?
– Finally, I Timothy 6:2-10 makes it clear that if “anyone teaches a different doctrine and does not agree with the sound words of our Lord Jesus Christ and the teaching that accords with godliness, he is puffed up with conceit and understands nothing.” Go and read teh rest of that passage. Doctrine is so important and if these people had a smidgen of theological knowledge, they would realize that this man is so off based, he has no ground to stand on.
I could go on and on, but i don’t have the time to. A basic reading of Paul’s work makes it clear that Jose Luis de Jesus Miranda is nothing but a blasphemous fool. He is heaping up for himself a severe condemnation when he comes face to face with the One he claims to be. And God help him in eternity when he suffers for knowingly leading so many away from the truth.