Forced Down Time

You may be wondering why I haven’t been posting the last few days, or maybe you just think its normal. Either way, last wednesday night I attempted to do something that apparently I can’t. I was goofing off in the gym during our game time with the Jr Highers and for a moment thought I was Kobe Bryant or something. A sudden bolt of inspiration hit me. I should try to run at the hoop, do a 180 in the air, float under the basket, and then smoothly lay in a reverse layup. Well, I got about as far as “run at the hoop”. They say a majority of crashes happen at take off and landings. Mine was on the take off. In my attempt to start the 180 I believe I rolled my ankle pretty badly, the ball just fell off my hands, and I hit the ground with my right ankle throbbing.

Fortunately, there weren’t any kids around to see this great failure at athleticism, so the myth that I can play basketball may still be alive. I got up quickly, played it off cool, limped over the stage, waited until my back was to the kids, and grimaced in pain. Jessica, our children’s director, said, “Ummm… You don’t look good.” I tried walking it off, got a drink and realized that it wasn’t good.

I heard it pop in a couple places when I went down and all I could think while limping around was, “I won’t be able to drive or walk. I’ll have to get a cast and Leah’s mom is leaving in less than a week.” This was not a good time to get hurt.

I limped over to my office, walked into the Youth Center where the High School group was in their teaching time. Only Geoff saw me limping and started laughing, knowing that I managed to hurt myself again. I got some more water and decided that I should just go home and ice it. So I called for Leah’s mom to come pick me up, since she had the car.

Once home I took the sock and shoe off to reveal an already bruising ankle a little bigger than a baseball. Leah was freaking out, and made me go to the hospital to make sure we knew what happened. So Tina drove me to the hospital. We were able to get in and be seen pretty quickly, which was nice.

When they brought me in, they decided my room would be the hallway. So now I’m sitting in a wheel chair in the hallway, which would be “people-watcher” paradise. I got to watch all the people run everywhere, see nurses blow off doctors, patients looking as sick as they could. After sitting there for awhile, I got rolled into the x-ray room.

After the x-rays, the doctor came in to inspect the ankle. The doc asked me where it hurt. I leaned down and removed the ice from my ankle. He stared at me, there’s a long pause, and he says, “Um, why don’t you point to where it hurts.” I think he must be joking because my ankle is three times its normal size at this point. Where do you think it hurts.

So after some awkward silence during which I’m thinking he can’t be serious, I lean over to point to where it hurts. Unfortunately, this is not a position a wheelchair is meant to sustain. Before I know it, I’m slowly sliding out of the wheel chair. I’m trying to reach back to stop it, but it’s too late. The wheel chair had reached the point of no return. It flips frontward and propels me out of the chair, onto the ground. It must have looked spectacular as I didn’t know if I should be trying to climb back into the chair or avoid hitting my ankle.

The doc and nurses just stared at me through this, and as if they all had to wait 3 seconds, lept forward to help me back into the wheel chair. The doc blamed the wheelchair, and when I got rolled back into my room (aka- the hallway), he wanted me to sit in a normal chair instead of the wheelchair. I told him I’d take my chances with the supposed chair of death.

At the end, it was decided that I restrained some ligaments in my ankle, that I had originally strained about five years ago. I got the orders to stay off for a day with my foot iced and elevated. After a couple days, i was able to remove the aircast and splint, and now I’m walking most normally on it. I can’t run and jump yet, but am increasing in my mobility.

The good thing is that it forced me to be down and I was able to hang out with my son for a day and not have to worry about work.

This entry was posted in life.

5 comments on “Forced Down Time

  1. beth says:

    Leah hasn’t killed you yet?

  2. BethsMomToo says:

    Now… “what would Mugsy Boggs’ mother say”? I think you’ve been working on “the myth” for some years now. I keep telling you – work on your passing – give the ball to taller guys, that’s where your strength lies. 😉

    Seriously, I’m sorry you hurt your ankle. I know from recent experience how that can be. Once you’ve hurt an ankle, I think it is more susceptible to injury, so be nice to that ankle. Glad you weren’t hurt in your “wheelchair fall”. THAT would have been pretty funny to have to explain to everyone! “Oh yeah, I hurt it falling from a wheelchair…”

    Very funny story, Tim. As usual…you got me laughing…

  3. beth says:

    An undergraduate who just started working in our lab apparently was down in the mouse room, passed out, smacked his head, and was rushed to the ER in an ambulance- no blood and just a headache. How embarassing! He’s not going to be able to forget about that one!

  4. ehudadams says:

    I would’ve passed the ball, but I was playing by myself. I juked myself, I guess.

  5. BethsMomToo says:

    If Micah grows into those hands of his, which he is likely to do!, he’ll make quite a bball player! You’d be a great coach! [just be careful with him…]

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s